This space takes inspiration from Gary Snyder's advice:
Stay together/Learn the flowers/Go light

Friday 8 September 2023

Motherhood: the fear, the awe, the joy

Dorothy Day and her daughter (Tamar) Teresa.
My child was born in March at the end of a harsh winter. In December I had to come in from the country and take a little apartment in town. It was good to be there, close to friends, close to a church where I could stop and pray.

A woman does not want to be alone at such a time. Even the most hardened, the most irreverent, is awed by the stupendous fact of creation. No matter how cynically or casually the worldly may treat the birth of a child, it remains spiritually and physically a tremendous event. God pity the woman who does not feel the fear, the awe, and the joy of bringing a child into the world.

And then the little one was born, and with her birth the spring was upon us. My joy was so great that I sat up in bed in the hospital and wrote an article for the New Masses about my child, wanting to share my joy with the world. I was glad to write it for a workers’ magazine because it was a joy all women know no matter what their grief at poverty, unemployment, and class war. [Source]

Words of Dorothy Day, an American activist. She died in 1980 aged 83. Her daughter, her one and only child, was born in 1926. Day had had an abortion - "the greatest tragedy of my life" - and subsequently had thought she was unable to have any more children. The outcome, however, was a legacy of nine grandchildren and her example of social activism on behalf of the poor and world peace.

 See also: 

Doctors appeal to reason over abortion push

  Leave a comment and, if you like this blog, go to my Peace and Truth newsletter on Substack, where you can subscribe for free and be notified by email when a new post is published.

No comments: